An Officer and a Generalissimo

Elton John in uniform

On their way to what the British call a fancy dress party, Elton John’s significant other does a fine imitation of a dutiful Marine, while Sir Elton himself conjures a tin-pot dictator. Izzy is shocked to find such a display of honesty in attire.

9 Responses to “An Officer and a Generalissimo”

1. ed March 16, 2007 at 10:57 am #

Hmmm.

As a US Marine I’m frankly extremely offended by this nonsense.

Mr Elton John is very lucky I wasn’t there because I’d beat the hell out of that twit in my service’s dress blues.

2. danilo March 16, 2007 at 2:46 pm #

Oh, come on, Ed… The Few. The Proud. The Fabulous! … Have a laugh.

3. triticale March 19, 2007 at 12:28 am #

What actual significance if any does Elton’s other have?

4. J March 22, 2007 at 9:49 am #

As a tin-pot dictator, I’m extremely offended by this as well.

5. Billy Oblivion March 27, 2007 at 2:10 am #

As a former marine (and currently a reservist in a different branch) I’m not offended as much as I am disgusted and saddened.

But then what do you expect from people who’ve been so protected by what George Orwell referred to as “Rough Men” for so long that that those men have become invisible?

We’re like the telephone repairman up on the pole, or the guy spreading asphalt. Invisible, and unnoticable.

Of course it’s a lot easier to mock us than to mock those we’re fighting. We just laugh and refuse to buy their records. We don’t cut off people’s heads.

6. La BellaDonna March 30, 2007 at 5:44 pm #

Ed, Billly Oblivion – believe me, there are those of us who are not Marines who do not dismiss it with “have a laugh.” I note that neither had the temerity to wear an approximation of a British uniform – knowing full well what the end result of that would be. And it has nothing to do with “homophobia” or “hatred of gays” – I’d be offended by anybody wearing a uniform with that sort of significance, to which he or she was not entitled.

You’re not invisible to me – or to a lot of other people. We know, and we’re grateful.

And I know at least a couple of linemen who’ve risked life and limb during storms to get people re-connected.

There are a lot of people who do dirty, dangerous, difficult work which lets most of America lead ordinary lives. Some of us notice.

Semper fi.

7. Brian August 22, 2007 at 1:13 pm #

Whiners. Its clothes for a theme party. You never did Halloween as children?

8. Bjørn August 22, 2007 at 2:11 pm #

J: I agree!

Yeah and getting your blood boiled for this can only be for 3 reasons:

1. Over Zealousness
    2. Homophobia
    3. No sense of humour

All three which are very poor traits to find in people imo.

9. shane June 28, 2008 at 11:02 pm #

I can understand Marines being upset at someone wearing a uniform which real Marines have worked so very hard to earn if they were wearing it in a mocking way. But in the end, when worn outside of service, it’s just a costume. I love clothes and would love to try out dress blues, or powwow regalia, or a ballgown. That doesn’t mean I’d be mocking Marines, or Native Americans, or women, just that it’s insightful to be someone else for a night. He actually looks quite sharp and seems to be copying the Marine uniform out of respect more than mockery. If your pride of place is so shallow that you rely on your uniform to prop it up, you’d better re-evaulate why you’re in the military in the first place.