Striking a Match

Daniel Radcliff in identical shirt and tie

In How to Lose Friends and Alienate People—the self-loathing memoir about a coke-snorting, alcoholic womanizer who gets a job at Vanity Fair magazine—we learn that one of the subtle insults at Conde Nast is to call someone’s attire “too match-y.”  But if ever there was a occasion of too much matchiness, it is this shirt and tie combination on Harry Potter’s Daniel Radcliffe.  Perhaps it’s an attempt at suburban camouflage, but the movie Garden State demonstrated why that is always a bad idea.

Garden State wallpaper

8 Responses to “Striking a Match”

1. Occasus July 12, 2007 at 12:15 pm #

Is Radcliffe a vampire? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more pallid movie star.

2. Greg July 12, 2007 at 2:41 pm #

I have to beg to differ on this one. Radcliffe is wearing Liberty of London prints, and wearing matching shirt and tie like this is something that more dandyish Londoners have been doing with Liberty prints since the 60s. (And Burberry Prosum stole the look for their the runway show in, I think, 2005.) It’s quirky, but also understated in its way.

I might complain about the *length* of the tie, though…

3. la petite chou chou July 13, 2007 at 2:48 am #

I’d have to say that while I find the shirt and tie annoying at best (too busy!), I am focusing more on how freakish he looks. He DOES look like a vampire and he also look like his head is disproportionately big for his body.

4. Sue F. July 13, 2007 at 10:16 am #

Ah, he’s still growing. Give him a break. Although I did think it was Elijah Wood at first.

5. Lilly Munster July 13, 2007 at 7:17 pm #

Crikey! He’s not pallid, he’s ENGLISH! (hehe)

6. Lilly Munster July 13, 2007 at 7:19 pm #

He’s not pallid, he’s BRITISH! (hehe)

7. Lilly Munster July 14, 2007 at 10:32 pm #

OMG please excuse the dupilcate post. *hangs head in shame*

Trackbacks/Pingbacks:

1. Shirts and Tie » Blog Archive » Men’s Fashion Myths: Setting the Record Straight - July 27, 2007

[...] 3. Don’t mix patterns As long as you don’t go overboard with different patterns, textures and colours you should be fine. After reading a blog on Manolo I recently rediscovered the tragedy that is coordinating patterns Daniel Radcliffe style – don’t let this be you! [...]